Tuesday, December 4, 2007

hockey: Recchi on waivers

TSN reports that the Pittsburgh Penguins have placed Penguins right winger Mark Recchi on waivers.

I expected that Recchi would go; he's been a healthy scratch in seven of the last eight games. I also suspected it might happen today, since last night was Mark Recchi Bobblehead night, and as silly as it sounds, the team wouldn't want to trade him before that.

I am surprised, however, that they chose to place him on waivers instead of trade him. Waivers means that we could lose him for nothing, when a trade could have brought either a player for the current roster or a prospect. Is it possible that no one wants him?

Recchi's been with the Penguins off and on since the team drafted him in 1988. They've traded him twice, to the Flyers during the 1991-1992 season and most recently for a short stay with the Hurricanes in 2006. His home and family are in Pittsburgh, and I admire that he wants to be a part of this team. I thought the Penguins made a mistake by resigning him for the 2006-2007 season, but I'm happy that he proved me wrong.

But he's been struggling this season, and coach Michel Therrien has made the right decision by scratching him. I understand, as a veteran player, that he wants to be on a team where he's going to get some playing time. I wish he could retire as a Penguin, but if that can't happen, I hope he finds a fit with another team.

No comments: